Monday, July 03, 2006

OUT OF AFRICA

Out of Africa: Starring Merle Streep, and Robert Redford, adapted from the memoirs of Isak Dinesen, set in early twentieth century of East Africa, what a combination for a great, and epic, Motion Picture Film.

It won seven Academy Awards for the 1985 season. I’ve seen it at least five times, not including this morning, again; and this morning’s viewing, for myself, for some reason, was the most poignant viewing of all.

I’m moving it to number one on my all time favorite list, until something else blows it away, and I cannot imagine what that would be.

I guess my knowing the story so well allowed me, this time, to concentrate on the interaction of the characters, and from my point of view, the seminal moments of their bonding together: the first story telling session, Simultaneously shooting the charging lions, and the first airplane ride together. In these actions they melded together into one entity, the ultimate human relationship.

The last few scenes of the film: the burial scene, the farewell drinks at the Hunting Club Bar, and the lions lounging on Denis’ grave site, bring to my mind, the true measure of one’s happiness: in the end, and upon reflection, is one proud of one’s self, satisfied in heart and mind, saddened to see the end, and willing to do it all over again exactly the same way.

True happiness does, sometimes, have a tinge of melancholy to it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike King said...

Believe it or not, I still haven't seen Out of Africa. I will immediately put it on my Netflix queue. I've resisted watching it on regular TV, because I didn't want to experience the cramped pan-and-scan version, and would rather watch the widescreen. Thanks for the review!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, now I want to see it again! Great review.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NetFlix just sent us Out of Africa. Will try to watch it this weekend. More to follow.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m sure you will like it.
We are watching Poe’s House of Usher tomorrow at reading group; we will have read it and discuss it next week.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones