Tuesday, March 18, 2008



A GREAT MAN HAS LEFT US

ARTHUR C Clarke died today at age 90 in Colombo, Sri Lanka (Dec. 16, 1917-March 19, 2008).

He was a visionary Science Fiction Writer dating back to the late forties, probably most famous for his film adaptation of, “2001: A Space Odyssey”. Some of his most famous books: “Childhood’s End”, “The City in the Stars”, “Rendezvous with Rama”, and “The Fountains of Paradise”. These four also happen to be my favorites.

He was the visionary that first wrote about Communication Satellites orbiting the Earth. The geosynchronous orbits of today are called: “Clarke Orbits” in his honor. His legacy may live on, in the future, as another of his imaginative concepts is: The Space Elevator, which is under feasibility study at NASA today.

Following are some quotes from Arthur C Clarke:
"Sometimes I am asked how I would like to be remembered," Clarke said recently. "I have had a diverse career as a writer, underwater explorer and space promoter. Of all these I would like to be remembered as a writer."
"One day, some super civilization may encounter this relic from the vanished species and I may exist in another time," he said. "Move over, Stephen King."


I have read every book he has written; his talent and Spirit will not only be missed by some of us, but by all mankind; whether some of those knew of him or not.

I hope your wish comes to pass and you are discovered again…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones