Friday, March 07, 2008







The Garden of Forking Paths

How lucky I am to just keep stumbling along, in life, and discovering so many good and interesting experiences. As though I were in, Jorge Luis Borges’, The Garden of Forking Paths, I seem to always take one that is rewarding and is somehow linked with another.

Tonight I went to the movies. There was no film I particularly wanted to see, so I picked what I thought might be the lesser of the potential disappointments: “Definitely Maybe.” As usual I was dead wrong, far from a disappointment it was! I can’t believe I’m lucky enough to catch one of these gems. This is a “Feel Good” movie of the first degree!

The film is a romantic comedy: A thirty something, Manhattan, dad, going through a divorce, and has to explain to his ten year old daughter how he met and fell in love with her mother. The story involves his sequential, on again, off again, love relationships with three different women. Their deal is that he changes their names and the daughter is supposed to guess which of the three women her mother is. I’ll not spoil it for anyone, except to say the daughter gets it right in the end.

To put my introduction into perspective: In a previous post I have reveled in the discovery of English Literature, especially Jane Austin’s, Jane Eyre. In this story, Definitely Maybe, one of the pivotal romantic devises, in one of the romances, is this woman’s collection of several different publications of, “Jane Eyre”, and her reason for collecting them.

Another thing that made the movie so easy to identify with is that I knew nothing of any of the actors. They were all completely new to me. Therefore; they were just fine as the characters they represented! No previous impressions to overcome. Just for the sake of edification, here is a list of the actors for the central characters: Ryan Reynolds, Isla Fisher, Derek Luke, Abigail Breslin, Elisabeth Banks, and Rachel Weisz.

Go see this movie; it’ll make you feel good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones