Sunday, December 16, 2007


I AM LEGEND

I went to see I An Legend last night and walked into a rarely seen “full house” at our local Pelican Cinemas; actually, I went last night at found it sold out! This really peaked my enthusiasm about the movie!

I was disappointed! I can’t explain it; maybe my expectations were too high. I’m old enough to have read the original publication of Richard Matheson’s, I Am Legend, and saw both previously made films: I Am Legend, and The Omega Man.

This new version was modernized and set in the near future in New York City. The book had the story set in the near future (1955/1956) in Compton CA. The lead character, the survivor, spent the day wandering the city looking for the mutants, which were Vampires, and killed them by driving a wooden stake through their hearts. I can’t remember if there was a dog companion or not.

For the younger set familiar with Compton today: Compton, in the fifties, was an up scale, upper middle class community!

I’m not knocking this movie, I was just disappointed. Bummer!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the novel as well in the early sixties for a junior high book report assignment. At the time it was my favorite book (it has long since descended to the depths probably, because of 45+ years of time lapse,)but there is something about reading a novel that takes place literally in your back yard that makes a person a close part of the read. Neville, I believe, was the protagonist's name; and when he traveled up and down the streets of Compton and broke into the buildings to put the stake through the hearts of his dead vampire friends, I became the character. I, too, saw the previous movies, and didn't like either. The last movie I saw at the theatre that I thoroughly DaVinci Code. I don't know why I am so hard to please with movies. Barry

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment Barry. I recommend LA Rex by Will Beal and Lucifer’s Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle for more adventure within the familiar environs of your past and memory. Both novels are on my all time favorites list.
Philip (Rex)

4:31 PM  
Blogger Mike King said...

Mike and I saw the movie today. I liked it but I would NOT put it in my all time favorite list. I thought it was a pretty good re-write of an already good story (though I never cared for the vampire stuff in the novel). I liked the fact that this new protagonist was a teenie tiny bit crazy (who could blame him). My favorite line was "I was saving that bacon" (ok, so I'm shallow). My least favorite aspect of the movie was that yes once again I cried about the dog story line while forgetting about humanity. Typical tear jerker stuff with the animal you could see it coming from ten miles away(nothing new there). I think they missed an opportunity with the zombie woman i.e. I'd like to have seen some before / after insight into her mental state. All in all an entertaining afternoon at the movies.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim,
Thanks for the comment and opinion.
It just thrills me to get comments!
I have been lazy, lately, and will try to do more postings: postings with more interest of drama maybe.
Philip (Rex)

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An astute critic has pointed out a spelling error in the title of this post, correction made:(

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones