Sunday, March 09, 2008




GREAT EXPECTATIONS: AGAIN

I just finished reading Charles Dickenson’s, “Great Expectations”, another great English novel, in the class of Bronte and Austen, and I assume many others. Great Expectations has, not surprisingly, just reinforced my new found fondness for English Literature.

We are watching a BBC Adaptation of Great Expectations in our, Great Books, reading group, it seems quite good and true to the novel. But, I see from surfing the “Net” that there are 1946 and 1998 Theatrical Film releases available too. I think I will try to rent them both for comparison to one another and to the original manuscript. I viewed trailers for both of these theatrical releases and they both look intriguing, for different reasons: The 1946 release is an English production, in black and white, and has the look and feel of 19 TH Century England, very grim and dark; the 1998 version is, of course, in color and set in what appears to be contemporary America, I hope this proves to be an interesting adaptation.

For some reason I do not remember the 1998 film being on the theatre circuit, at the time of its original release! I guess this goes to show how one’s awareness of the world, is relative to one’s current interests and past experiences?

I just purchased a double DVD set from Wal-Mart for $7.50 of Remains of the Day and Sense and Sensibility; Ill be watching these two, within the next couple of weeks.

Any suggestions for my next reading experience within the realm of English Lit?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones