Monday, March 05, 2007



HALF LIFE

My friend David White has introduced me to the online gaming world of Half Life.

I have downloaded Steam, the engine, and purchased the original version of Half Life.

After a few adventures into the game, I can see that it will be a lot of fun, once I become skilled enough, to stay alive long enough, to figure out what is going on! With the articulation of the keyboard commands, learning the successful strategies of the game, and the various “Maps”, I can see it will take a while. Right now, during a typical fifteen minute session, I manage to get killed about forty times, with only two or three kills for myself. The thing that really gets me is that it’s probably a bunch of fourteen year old Geeks kicking my ass all over the map! I just hate it, getting stomped on that bad!

My son-in-law, Mike, made a BLOG posting about this game a little over a year ago; I wonder if he plays online? Mike: if you read this let me know if you are a regular or sometimes player; maybe we can get online at the same time someday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike King said...

Man, it's been a while since I've read your blog. Good stuff!

I don't do the online HL. I'm not interested in the community gaming thing - only the single player stuff. But I really love the Half Life gaming world. Creepy, scary, comic, and fun for sure.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Rex said...

Mike,
Thanks a lot for the comment.

You mentioned that you did not like the “on line” gaming. I did not like it either, at first. I could not get going; I was always getting fragged before I could even figure out where I was. My problem was being too static and stationary in the game play. One has to keep running and gunning simultaneously. I started doing much better when I realized that. Most of the “on line” playing is “a free for all”, everyone fragging everyone else. So there is no strategy to worry about, just indiscriminate fragging, and running through the maze like crazy; actually, it’s kind of cathartic. Very few of the “Servers” are Team Play, and when they are it’s stated in the title description.

You ought to give “On Line” a try, you might like it. When you log onto, “Steam”, and then “Half Life”, click on “Find Servers”, and look for, “Paradigm Lost”, I find it the easiest and most fun to play.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones